Cruz, Macgregor-Dennis win Executive

Current ASSU Vice President Michael Cruz ’12 and Senator Stewart Macgregor-Dennis ’13 have been elected as next year’s ASSU Executives, defeating Tenzin Seldon ‘12 and Joe Vasquez ’11.

Stewart Macgregor-Dennis '13 (left) and Michael Cruz '12 won the election for ASSU Executive, beating out second-place slate Tenzin-Vasquez by around 350 votes. The duo celebrated when the results were announced at the CoHo on Saturday. (WYNDAM MAKOWSKY/The Stanford Daily)

According to ASSU Elections Commissioner Stephen Trusheim ’13, this year’s elections saw “the highest turnout for undergraduates since recorded history.” More than “60 percent of the undergraduate population voted in this year’s elections,” he said.

“We’re very excited to serve Stanford and build on our work,” Cruz said of his recent victory.

For the time being, Cruz and Macgregor-Dennis are gearing up for the transition process. They have begun a dialogue with current ASSU President Angelina Cardona ’11 and current Chief of Staff John Haskell ’12 about this process.

“In the next few days, we’ll be releasing applications for our chief of staff position and with that also our formal agenda,” Cruz said.

Twelve out of the 15 students elected to the ASSU Undergraduate Senate were endorsed by the Students of Color Coalition (SOCC), led by Dan Ashton ’14, who won the most number of votes in the senate election and Rafael Vazquez ‘12, the only incumbent senator to seek reelection.

Cruz & Macgregor-Dennis also received a SOCC endorsement.

The formal turnover for Executive is currently set for Friday, April 22. The Senate is slated to transition Tuesday, April 26.

In the results for advisory measure A, which surveyed students about support for the return of ROTC to Stanford, option A (“I support the return…”) received 2,406 votes — the most votes of the three options. Option C (“I choose to abstain”) received 2,117 votes, and option B (“I oppose the return…”) received 929 votes. The measure does not have any official influence on the Faculty Senate committee’s decision about ROTC’s return to campus, which will be announced later in spring.

“I can’t speak for the ad hoc committee, but I would hope that they view this as an indicator that there is significant support on campus . . . that there’s a place for ROTC on this campus,” said Warner Sallman ’11, who was an organizer for the “yes on A” campaign.

Sallman added that he admired the efforts put forth by the abstention campaign, whose strategy was to urge students not to vote against the measure but rather to select the “I choose to abstain” option when voting.

SOCC had the top five and 12 of the top 13 vote-getters in the election for the Undergraduate Senate. Rafael Vasquez '12 was the only incumbent elected. (ANASTASIA YEE/The Stanford Daily)

All undergraduate-only special fees groups passed, with the exception of the Stanford Chaparral and The Claw Magazine, which received 48.48 percent and 49.56 percent approval, respectively. Groups needed at least 50 percent to pass.

Sunday FLiCKS was the only group that failed to pass joint special fees, as 73.71 percent of undergraduate voters approved the fees but only 42.14 percent of graduate voters approved the fees.

Approval of special fees for the Stanford Flipside means that students approved the publication’s allotted budget for a Segway, which Flipside president Jeremy Keeshin ’12 said would help with the publication’s distribution and advertising.

According to Keeshin, the objective of the Flipside’s request was to impart “a funny message of the special fees process.” He said the publication’s special fees approval “probably means that people are voting for verbs that they know, [and] groups that they’ve seen around or like.”

Low graduate student turnout (around 28 percent) made the overall student turnout drop about 6 percent. This trend was also evident in the elections to the Graduate Student Council, where six of the 10 district candidate winners were write-in candidates, some winning with as few as two or three write-in votes.

Current freshmen elected “The Quad,” current sophomores elected “Leland Stanford Juniors” and current juniors elected “Senior Citizens” as class presidents.

About Ellen Huet

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.
  • Anon

U mad, Daily?

• sock

Cruz won. FML

• Dolo

Ugh, can’t believe Cruz won…

At least for measure A, oppose+abstain got more votes than support. And there’s no way to tell how many of those abstaining are doing so for the abstention campaign or not.

• Mark

The way I look at Measure A, it looks like the ROTC supporters “won”. Hard to compare though if one should look at it as “Support only” vs. “Support + Abstain” vs. “Support + part of Abstain”. But quite honestly, I have say that I was surprised at how relatively few “No” votes there were in comparison.

• @Mark

That’s the point. Many of the “no” votes became “abstain” votes, and it’s uncertain how many of the “abstain” votes were “no” votes or just “abstain.”

The campaign was successful, I think.

• WooHoo Cruz Control

woohoo keeping it in Cruz Control three years in a row!!!! that may well be a record!! he’s never lost a race!

• student

cruz did have one hell of a website

• sock2

cruz and macgregor-dennis. fck us all. “hide yo kids, hide yo wife”

• sock3

stanford is dumb to vote for cruz into office. i just pray for us now!!

• JP

From talking to other students, many people, including myself, voted with the intent to vote against Vasquez rather than for Cruz/Macgregor.

• sad

i can’t believe The Claw didn’t get special fees but The Flipside did. The Claw is practically the only student publication consistently worth reading on this campus.

• Jas

I liked Tenzin/Vasquez for their focus/work on the low-income community at Stanford. The issues there are too often overlooked, so I really hope they continue to work on them despite not having gotten the exec.

• Voter

@Jp or anyone who knows, whats wrong with Vasquez? jw

• JP

I’m not going to go into specifics in a public forum like this but you can probably hear a thing or two by asking around. I heard similar negative things from various people but, since it’s only hearsay, the validity is easily up for debate.

• Voter

@JP
    Not that I care who won, but you just said you voted against Vasquez, and now you tell me that most of the negative things about Vasquez are hearsay and easily for debate. Do you even realize how dumb that sounds

• JP

I know him because I’ve had a few classes with him. Based on that, I know that SOME of what I heard is true. The rest is merely plausible in light of that. However, I do not want to go into specifics since the election is over and there is no justifiable reason for doing so. I can assure you that if you really wanted to know, you can ask around and somebody would be able to tell in in a more appropriate manner than a message board for the daily.

• Brad

You’d think the daily would tell us who won the senate elections.

• Flicks?

Why does a group fail to get special fees if graduate students don’t approve? There are some things at Stanford that are primarily for undergraduate students, just as there are a great many things (most things) that are primarily for graduate students. Why should their lack of approval of Sunday Flicks mean that it doesn’t get special fees, when a whopping 73% of the undergraduate student body said yes?

If anyone in the ASSU is reading this, please take heed. Here’s an actual job for the ASSU to work on!

• lolo,ololololoololol

i cant believe people voted in michael cruz lolololololololol i love it though, at stanford ANYTHING is possible

• So sad

It’s so sad to think that Tenzin was not elected because of some rumor about Vasquez. What a loss!!

• Heather

The low graduate turnout was because graduates didn’t even know elections were occurring. As a coterm, the only reason I knew to even vote was because I’m still on tons of undergrad emailing lists. Someone needs to send an email to the entire student body indicating that voting is open and telling students where to vote. For undergrads this may sounds silly, but I’m serious that grads had no idea this was even going on, hence the like two-vote write-ins and such.

• Senior

@Heather: I agree. The only reason I knew elections started and when they were is because of all the flyers for undergrad things.

• how?

Howd these people get 2200 people to express a vote on not voting? Thats pretty ridiculous and a pretty rousing victory for anti-rotc because, as warma and these adamantly pro people showed, it was an anti movement of simply ssql people.
    Howd they get so many people to do it? Talk about a victory for the power of organizing

• Robin Thomas

What’s with all the anti-Cruz comments on here, guys? Show a little respect, or at least man up and use your real names, instead of this douchebaggery while hiding behind anonymity. I voted for Herz-Coggeshall and Senator Palpatine for Exec slate, and even still I think these comments are ridiculous.

• Robin Thomas

What’s up with all the anti-Cruz comments on here, guys? If you’re going to be so absurdly disrespectful, at least man up and use your real names, instead of all this stupid douchebaggery while hiding behind Internet anonymity. I didn’t even vote for the guy (#1, Herz-Coggeshall, #2, Senator Palpatine), and still I think this is ridiculous.

• Stephen Trusheim

Hi Heather,

Two all-campus emails were sent, one specifically targeting graduate students, talking about elections. The grad-only email was sent on April 4, and had information specifically about opportunities throughout campaign week to meet grad candidates; an all-campus email was sent on Thursday night encouraging all students to vote.

Thank you for the feedback, though, and I encourage you to send any other ideas to us at elections@elections.stanford.edu.

Stephen Trusheim
    ASSU Elections Commissioner

• sock 3

because if you dare to say something against any liberal group/ michael cruz and his friends, the whole school goes bezerk and everyone hates you and tries to get you expelled. but it’s fine cuz im outa here soon. honestly im not even worried about Cruz, the ASSU has had terrible presidents in the past and somehow we’re doin ok

• @sock 3

The reason we’re doing okay with such terrible presidents is that the ASSU is useless and nobody cares about them. I can guarantee that there would not be a palpable difference if Seldon/Vasquez got the exec… except that we might be annoyed less often by sycophantic bureaucrats in the Daily (otherwise known as our new ASSU execs).

• @@sock 3 & Robin Thomas

@Robin Thomas
    Why are you against anonymity? The internet is definitely a good place to remain anonymous.

@@sock3
    From what I have heard Seldon is a tremendously smart and capable person (also a Truman Scholar) Michael Cruz may be a nice guy, and I even know him, but I don’t think he is even in the same league as Seldon. Hopefully he’ll prove us wrong and accomplish some great things.