Four students named Truman Scholars

Four juniors are part of the 2011 class of Truman scholars, according to a release in the Stanford Report. The foundation grants $30,000 graduate school scholarships to students who pursue careers in public service. Fellows also receive leadership training, career and graduate school counseling and internship opportunities within the federal government.

One fellow, Ishan Nath ’12, is double majoring in economics and Earth systems with a focus on energy. Nath taught environmental science to seventh graders in Cambridge, Mass., through the Breakthrough Collaborative and served as a senior consultant on the National Commission on the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling.

Teryn Norris ’11, who studies public policy, leads Americans for Energy Leadership, an organization that lobbies for federal investment in clean energy research. Norris served for two years at the Breakthrough Institute, where he collaborated on a proposal that the Obama campaign adapted as part of its $150 billion clean energy platform.

Tenzin Seldon ’12, an activist on Tibetan issues, served as regional coordinator for Students for a Free Tibet. She is currently a fellow at the Center for Compassion and Altruism Research and Education and was a key organizer of the Dalai Lama’s visit last October.

Michael Tubbs ’12, who is majoring in comparative studies in race and ethnicity, is passionate about “ending the cradle-to-prison pipeline.” Tubbs co-founded Save Our Stockton, a youth advocacy group, and the Summer Success and Leadership Academy at the University of the Pacific. He also works for the Cradle-to-Prison Pipeline Campaign and travels throughout the nation as a motivational speaker.

Stanford boasts the largest number of Truman scholars of any university this year.

— Ivy Nguyen