Synchro finishes second at nationals for third straight year

At the three-day NCAA Collegiate Championships in Buffalo, N.Y., Stanford synchronized swimming finished just three points behind first-place Ohio State, settling for runner-up for the third consecutive year.

Sophomore Jessica Guenther and Junior Alex Bollaidlaw, above, joined junior Maria Koroleva to finish fourth in the trio event. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

The first event of the finals was the trio competition, where two Cardinal trios placed among the top four. Sophomore Madison Crocker joined juniors Morgan Fuller and Olivia Morgan to finish second with a 90.375, just .125 points behind Ohio State’s top trio. Sophomore Jessica Guenther, along with juniors Alex Bollaidlaw and Maria Koroleva, finished in fourth win a score of 89.375.

Next up were the duets, and Stanford excelled yet again. Koroleva and Morgan won the event with a 91.625, while Crocker and Fuller were not far behind, in third with a 90.5.

Stanford did not place any swimmers in the singles final, which turned out to be the difference between first and second finishes overall. However, the Cardinal ended on a strong note by easily winning the team event, scoring a 94.25 against Ohio State’s 92.875.

-Jacob Jaffe

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.