Stanford alumnus wins Grammy

Christopher Tin ’98, MA ‘99 won a Grammy Award on Sunday night for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists for his hit song “Baba Yetu.” The song was the first piece written for a video game to win a Grammy Award.

The album on which “Babu Yetu” appeared, “Calling All Dawns,” won for Best Classical Crossover Album.

“Baba Yetu,” a Swahili version of the Lord’s Prayer, was originally written for the popular game “Civilization IV.” Stanford Talisman, of which Tin is a former member, performs and has recorded multiple versions of the song.

“We were thrilled,” Talisman musical director Sterling Camden said of Tin’s Grammy victory. “It’s incredible to have something like that in our heritage. He’s a phenomenal arranger.”

“Calling All Dawns” features more than 200 musicians and includes lyrics in 12 languages performed by musicians from all over the world.

While at Stanford, Tin studied music composition, conducting and English. He continued his studies at the Royal College of Music in London on a Fulbright Scholarship after graduation.

–Joshua Falk

In an earlier version of this article, The Daily incorrectly stated that Christopher Tin was nominated for a second Grammy for Best Classical Crossover Album. In fact, he won the award.