ResEd urges houses to reconsider ‘hot prowl’ party themes

In an e-mail sent Thursday to Row house management staff, associate dean of residential education Nate Boswell urged staff members to consider carefully the implications of recently proposed party themes.

Since the increase of break-ins, party invitations have been touting the current campus catchphrase, “hot prowl,” or other variations (Chi Theta Chi is hosting “Hot Owl” on Friday). It comes after an attempted burglary in early January at Grove Mayfield that Stanford police referred to in an alert as a “hot prowl,” or a burglary attempt made while a house’s residents were present.

“While we can understand that poking fun at these situations may seem like a reasonable coping strategy…several members of our community, within the student body as well as within the administration, have expressed concern about this particular thematic choice,” Boswell said in the e-mail.

Boswell encouraged houses to avoid the use of “hot prowl” “to alleviate the potentially harmful impact on individual members of our community and the community at large.”

— Ellen Huet

• wtf?

What the hell is the “the potentially harmful impact on individual members of our community and the community at large”? Are students who recently were the victims of a “hot prowl” going to cry when they hear that theme? Are “hot prowlers” going to be more likely to strike (doubt it, if anything they’d be deterred)? It’s the flippancy of students on situations like this that makes me love Stanford even more.