BRIEF: Stanford swimming teams sweep Arizona schools

In two joint meets over the weekend, the Stanford men’s and women’s swimming teams each notched victories over both Arizona and Arizona State. The No. 1 women’s team (6-0) defeated the No. 7 Wildcats, 178-114, and the Sun Devils, 174-120, while the No. 3 men (4-0) edged past Arizona, 155-143, and beat Arizona State soundly, 168-122.

The Stanford men's swimming and diving team swept the Arizona schools over the weekend (RALPH NGUYEN/The Stanford Daily)
Senior Kate Dwelley shined for the Stanford women in both meets, finishing in the top three in all three freestyle events against Arizona and winning both butterfly events against Arizona State. Junior Betsy Webb also won two events against the Sun Devils, while senior Liz Smith contributed victories in both breaststroke events against the Wildcats. Senior Meg Hostage led the diving team, placing well throughout the weekend.

The men’s team got strong performances from several swimmers to hold off Arizona for a close victory. Three swimmers—senior Alex Coville, junior Chad La Tourette and senior Austin Staab—won two events each, while senior diver Brent Eichenseer took both diving events. Coville won both the 50- and 100-yard freestyle events, and La Tourette, a distance specialist, won both the 500- and 1,000-yard freestyle races.

Stanford got key contributions from different swimmers to pull out a victory over Arizona State. Juniors Geoff Cheah and Curtis Lovelace powered the Cardinal past the Sun Devils with two victories apiece. Cheah won both short-distance freestyle events, while Lovelace swept the breaststroke races.

The men’s team will return to the pool on Feb. 4 at home against Cal State Bakersfield, while the women’s next meet is on Jan. 28 at Avery Aquatic Center against Pac-10 foe UCLA.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.