Grading the Golden Globes Fashion

Grading the Golden Globes FashionThe Golden Globes are notoriously known as the Academy Awards’ less important, boozier cousin. While they may not have as much clout as their fellow Oscars, the Globes certainly aren’t lacking in the fashion department. Intermission presents the good, the “meh” and the tragic from Sunday’s award ceremony.

The Best

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Green was certainly the color of the night – see Angelina Jolie and Mila Kunis. However, none did it better than a regal Zeta-Jones in her stunning Monique Lhuillier gown.

Olivia Wilde

The “TRON” star made a splash with her fabulous princess gown and balanced out the drama of the Marchesa with a casual hairdo.

Dianna Agron

The “Glee” star’s glamorous old-Hollywood look was perfectly complemented by her gorgeous retro waves.

Anne Hathaway

It’s not easy to pull of the “Dynasty”-esque shoulder pads of Hathaway’s Armani Prive, especially when you’re competing against Angelina Jolie. After the equally sleek Armani Prive Hathaway wore to the 2009 Academy Awards, we think we’re sensing a pattern here and we certainly don’t mind.

Eva Longoria

Why so sad Eva? The newly single Longoria seemed to be channeling Morticia Addams in her jet-black Zac Posen. But with the gown’s perfect, curve-hugging fit, mourning never looked so good.

Almost There

Emma Stone

Stone could have stunned in her orange minimalist Calvin Klein but her borderline Wayne Newton spray-tan made it uncomfortably difficult to differentiate between fabric and skin.

Nicole Kidman

Remember when Nicole Kidman’s red carpet dresses were something to be excited about? There was the chartreuse Dior, the ice-blue, feathered Chanel and the bright-red, big-bowed Balenciaga. She looks perfectly lovely in this year’s one-shouldered, pale-yellow Prada but the safe, bland choice makes us long for the Nicole Kidman of red carpets past.

The Worst

Helena Bonham Carter

Bonham Carter had several plum roles last year as the Red Queen in “Alice in Wonderland,” psychotic Bellatrix in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I” and Queen Elizabeth in “The King’s Speech.” Too bad she chose to channel the craziness of Bellatrix and not the elegance of the Queen with her crazy hair, confused dress and mismatched shoes.

Jennifer Lopez

J.Lo’s known for her bold, fierce fashion choices. So how does she explain this matronly snore of a dress? The white Zuhair Murad gown looks like a David’s Bridal cast-off topped with some sort of weird, see-through lampshade.

Halle Berry

You can’t really blame Berry for flaunting her rockin’ bod in this Nina Ricci bustier dress. However, the deconstructed black dress with its tulle mullet of a train comes off as more tacky than classy.

Lea Michele

The usually reliable red-carpet darling made a misstep with her unkempt hair and disorganized, bubblegum-tinted Oscar de la Renta. After similarly monochromatic and dramatic gowns at last year’s Emmys and Golden Globes, it may also be time to shake things up.

Natalie Portman

Portman was radiant with her newfound maternal glow. Unfortunately, she tarnished it with the cheap, craft-store rose awkwardly glued to the front of her dress.