Football: Marecic, Fua selected for Senior Bowl

Stanford football seniors Owen Marecic and Sione Fua, two of the team’s standouts, were invited to the 62nd Annual Senior Bowl. The two are among 13 players that will represent the Pac-10 in the Jan. 29 game.

Seniors Owen Marecic, right, and Sione Fua were selected to the 62nd Annual Senior Bowl, a traditional game for graduating players (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily).

Marecic received significant national attention this year for his role as a dual-threat player. In his career as a fullback, Marecic, a first-team All-American and first-team All-Pac-10 member, has blocked for the likes of Toby Gerhart and Stepfan Taylor, both 1,000-yard rushers. He also tacked on five rushing touchdowns in his senior campaign.

Deemed “the perfect football player” by former head coach Jim Harbaugh, Marecic also played middle linebacker for the Cardinal. He was fifth on the team in tackles and recorded two interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown against Notre Dame.

Fua, a nose tackle, was a staple of Stanford’s new 3-4 defense. The second-team All-Pac-10 star recorded 4.5 sacks on 23 tackles.

The Senior Bowl is an opportunity for collegiate seniors to showcase their talents before the NFL Draft. The game is traditionally held in Mobile, Ala.