RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey. Wow.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Both Hooper and Cotton have made nice catches in the middle of the field today. Could be a huge help to Hogan as season progresses.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Stanford falls to Wash. St., 61-58

The Stanford men’s basketball team came up just short against Washington State (13-5, 3-3 Pac-10) on Saturday night, suffering its first home defeat of the season, 61-58. A Jeremy Green desperation three-pointer to force the game into overtime bounced off the back of the rim as the buzzer sounded.

The Card (10-6, 3-2) entered the second half with a nine-point lead, but was unable to contain Cougar junior guards Klay Thompson and Faisal Aiden, who combined for 41 points. Thompson, who entered the game averaging a conference-best 23.1 points per game, was held in check in the first half due to defensive pressure by Stanford and early foul trouble—however, he became more aggressive in the second period and proved too difficult to handle.

“I thought they outplayed us,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “They gave a winning effort and won the game. I thought Klay Thompson and Faisal Aden really stepped up and gave some good contributions to their team. We all learn from our losses and unfortunately we took one tonight.”

Junior guard Green had 13 points to lead Stanford, and freshman wing Anthony Brown added 12 points, all off of three-pointers. Redshirt junior forward Josh Owens also contributed 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting, and Owens and freshman forward Dwight Powell were the night’s leading rebounders, grabbing 10 boards apiece.

Next weekend, the Card will travel south to Los Angeles to take on USC and UCLA on Thursday and Saturday, respectively. Check back with StanfordDaily.com later for full coverage and analysis.