Laptop thefts, ‘hot prowl’ reported over weekend

Burglars this weekend allegedly stole laptops and iPods from Bob, the Mayfield Avenue residence, while in an unrelated incident three unidentified men allegedly entered a room in Grove Mayfield while its resident was sleeping.

On Friday night between 10 p.m. and midnight, unidentified people entered Bob and stole four laptops, two or three iPods, a camera and cash from two or three rooms, said Bob Resident Assistant (RA) Sam Svoboda ’11, who is a Daily writer. He added that the extent of the theft is still tentative because the residents returned only this afternoon from their ski trip.

Svoboda said that Bob had about 10 people in the house over the weekend. No one in the residence saw the burglars, he added, but he guessed that the thieves entered and exited from Bob’s side doors.

On Saturday at 12:45 a.m., three unidentified men allegedly entered Grove Mayfield, proceeded to the second floor and checked doors to see if they were occupied. They entered a female student’s room on the second floor and fled in an unknown direction when she screamed. No thefts were reported.

Stanford police alerted the community to the incident via text message and e-mail, terming it a “hot prowl,” which is a burglary attempt in which the offender breaks into a residence while someone is inside. Hot prowl burglaries are considered dangerous by law enforcement because of the potential for a violent interaction between the resident and the offender.

Ivan Herrera ’11, a second-floor resident of Grove, was in his room on Friday night and heard someone rattling the handle of his door. He immediately thought it was burglars and asked who it was. A few minutes later, he heard his next-door neighbor scream and he called 911. Three police came to Grove Mayfield and dusted for fingerprints.

Grove RA Bob Clark ’11 was on the house’s ski trip during the incident and guessed that the unidentified men who entered Grove were the same offenders that stole laptops from Bob.

Clark said that he has been exchanging e-mails with the Row’s residence dean to set up a security meeting and has been working with Housing to address unsafe entries in Grove.

–Amy Julia Harris