Football: The season so far

With only two games left in Stanford’s historic season, including today’s game against rival Cal, it’s worth taking a look back and seeing how the Cardinal got to its current position.

Stanford enters today’s game with a 9-1 overall record, including a 6-1 record against Pac-10 Conference opponents. Stanford has its best record through 10 games since 1951, its first season under Chuck Taylor.

The Card’s only loss came on Oct. 2 in Eugene, Ore., where it fell 52-31 to an Oregon team that has since risen to No. 1 in the BCS standings. Stanford’s signature win came on Nov. 6 at home, where it defeated then-No. 15 Arizona, 42-17. The Cardinal enters this weekend at No. 6 in the BCS standings; it was No. 12 in the original BCS standings, first calculated in the season’s eighth week.

Stanford was just outside the AP Top 25 in the preseason rankings, and it currently sits at No. 7 in that poll.

To date, this Stanford team has been defined by its two brightest stars, head coach Jim Harbaugh and redshirt sophomore quarterback Andrew Luck. Harbaugh has taken the program to heights few thought possible when he first came to the Farm before the 2007 season, and he is often called the hottest coach in the country. Luck has emerged as a Heisman Trophy candidate and a potential No. 1 choice in next April’s NFL Draft, all while piling up big numbers against opposing secondaries.

Before watching the Card take on the Golden Bears this afternoon, let’s take a look at Stanford’s games so far.

Sept. 4 vs. Sacramento State, W 52-17

Stanford opened its season at home against FCS Sacramento State and thoroughly dominated the Hornets, setting the tone for the rest of the season. With 529 total yards, including 316 passing yards and a career-high four touchdowns from Luck, Stanford’s offense showed why it was so hyped heading into the season. On defense, the Cardinal debuted its new scheme, imported from the NFL by first-year defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, and it worked extremely well as the Hornets were held to 167 total offensive yards. However, Stanford lost two key players to injury—starting tight end Levine Toilolo saw his season ended by an ACL tear, and senior running back Jeremy Stewart suffered an ankle injury that caused him to fall out of Stanford’s tailback rotation.

Sept. 11 at UCLA, W 35-0

This game was defined by Stanford’s defense, which shut out the Bruins’ much-hyped “Pistol” offensive scheme. The victory was also Stanford’s first in Pasadena since 1996. Stanford’s pass defense, which was considered its weakest point heading into the season, completely shut down the Bruins’ passing attack, allowing just 81 yards overall on 11-21 passing from two UCLA quarterbacks, Kevin Prince and Richard Brehaut. The defense also forced four turnovers, on two fumble recoveries and two interceptions. The game was also noteworthy for the emergence of sophomore Stepfan Taylor as Stanford’s primary option at running back. Taylor took 20 carries in the game, while the next highest total from any back was just eight carries.

Sept. 18 vs. Wake Forest, W 68-24

Stanford’s second home game of the season saw it completely blow out the Demon Deacons, with its offense scoring more or less at will against a weak Wake Forest defense. Stanford scored a touchdown on its first eight possessions and scored 10 touchdowns overall (with two extra points missed by senior kicker Nate Whitaker). The Cardinal rolled up 535 yards of total offense, including 303 yards on the ground. Luck had a stellar game as well, throwing four touchdown passes and scoring himself on a 52-yard quarterback scramble.

Sept. 25 at Notre Dame, W 37-14

Stanford’s victory over Notre Dame vaulted it into the national spotlight, since it was a nationally televised game against one of the nation’s most storied programs. The game was a showcase for Taylor, who took 28 carries for 108 yards against the Fighting Irish. Whitaker was also a big star for Stanford, kicking five field goals against his former team. However, the game’s biggest story was probably Stanford senior Owen Marecic, one of a very small number of players in major college football to play regularly on both offense and defense. Marecic scored two touchdowns in the game on consecutive plays, one on a one-yard touchdown run and the second on an interception returned for a score. Stanford’s run defense was also stellar, holding the Irish to just 44 yards on 23 carries.

Oct. 2 at No. 4 Oregon, L 52-31

With both teams ranked in the top 10 and ESPN’s College GameDay crew in town, the Cardinal’s matchup with the Ducks in Eugene was easily one of Stanford’s biggest games in years. The game was billed as a de facto Pac-10 championship game, and the winner would put itself in the driver’s seat to the Rose Bowl.

While Stanford jumped out to an early 21-3 lead in the first quarter, it couldn’t sustain its momentum against Oregon’s high-octane offense, and its defense finally cracked. While the Cardinal carried a 31-24 lead into the locker room at halftime, from there it was all Ducks, with Oregon scoring four touchdowns in the second half against no points from Stanford. Though Luck threw for 341 yards, he also threw two picks and was contained well by Oregon in the second half.

Oct. 9 vs. USC, W 37-35

Stanford’s game against rival Southern California certainly went down to the wire, as the Cardinal took the game on a field goal from Whitaker as time expired in the fourth quarter. The two offenses traded scores throughout the game, with USC quarterback Matt Barkley throwing for 390 yards and three touchdowns and Luck matching him with 285 passing yards and three touchdowns of his own. The game was a story of redemption for Whitaker; he missed the extra point on Stanford’s go-ahead touchdown with 9:27 remaining in the fourth quarter, but given a second chance with the game on the line and the Card facing a one-point deficit, he drilled the 30-yarder.

Oct. 23 vs. Washington State, W 38-28

While Stanford beat hapless Washington State as expected, the close final score made many Stanford fans nervous about their team’s prospects. Stanford looked sluggish and unmotivated on the field, with the offense never seeming to really get into a rhythm. The defense continued its string of shaky performances, giving up three fourth-quarter touchdowns to the Cougars. WSU quarterback Jeff Tuel made mincemeat of the Cardinal secondary, throwing for 298 yards and four touchdowns on 21-28 passing. The win did secure bowl eligibility for Stanford, while officially eliminating the Cougars from a postseason bid.

Oct. 30 at Washington, W 41-0

Stanford came out after the Washington State game and answered its critics with a dominating performance against the Huskies. Its offense continued its strong play, but the real story was Stanford’s defense, which held Washington quarterback Jake Locker to a mere 64 yards passing and one yard rushing and notched its second road shutout of a Pac-10 opponent this season. The Cardinal dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball; its offensive line opened up huge holes for the running game, which went for 278 yards on 47 carries, while Stanford defenders were constantly in the Washington backfield making life difficult for Locker and his running backs.

Nov. 6 vs. No. 15 Arizona, W 42-17

With the country watching on primetime television, Stanford engineered another dominating performance against a hyped Arizona team. The Wildcat defense, considered the best in the conference heading into the game, had no answer for Luck, Taylor and true freshman running back Anthony Wilkerson, who were able to consistently gain yardage and make plays against Arizona. On the line of scrimmage, the Stanford offensive line neutralized Arizona’s potential All-American defensive ends, giving up no sacks through the entire game. Meanwhile, on defense, the Cardinal didn’t stifle the Wildcats, but made key plays and forced big turnovers at critical junctures in the game. Perhaps most tellingly, the Wildcats converted just three of five red zone opportunities and were 1-3 on fourth down.

Nov. 13 at Arizona State, W 17-13

Stanford certainly escaped a trap game against the Sun Devils, pulling out a win despite looking nothing like it had against Arizona. Many pundits had predicted a letdown throughout the week, and though Harbaugh insisted that his team would remain motivated, it certainly looked for a little while like ASU was primed to pull the upset. Led by linebacker Vontaze Burfict, the Sun Devils were able to control the line of scrimmage on defense, making it difficult for the Stanford running game to gain any traction. With its rushing attack neutralized, the Card often found itself in third-and-long situations, and it showed on the score sheet. Nevertheless, the Stanford defense saved it from its second loss of the season by making opportunistic plays and key stops against Sun Devil quarterback Steven Threet.

So that’s Stanford’s season so far. With a 9-1 record, it will put its No. 6 national ranking and Rose Bowl hopes on the line today as it takes on the Golden Bears, further defining this historic season.

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.