Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wrestling opens Pac-10 season in Bakersfield

In an early start to conference competition, the Stanford wrestling team (0-1) will head to Bakersfield, Calif., for its first Pac-10 dual against Cal State Bakersfield on Saturday.

All-American Nick Amuchastegui will headline the Cardinal this weekend. The redshirt junior placed fourth at last year’s NCAA Tournament and won a major decision in Stanford’s opening dual at home against Northwestern. Amuchastegui, senior Zack Giesen and sophomore Ryan Mango are all currently ranked in the top 20 nationally in their respective weight classes.

Stanford’s last outing, in front of a big crowd at Burnham Pavilion, ended in disappointment for the Cardinal as it fell to Northwestern, 18-16. Though the teams evenly split the matches, the Wildcats won three major decisions to Stanford’s one, giving it two extra points that ultimately formed the winning margin.

This weekend’s dual represents the season opener for the Roadrunners. Bakersfield is in its first season under new head coach Mike Mendoza.

Stanford and Cal State Bakersfield will open Pac-10 play this Saturday. The meet is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Saturday in Bakersfield.

About Kabir Sawhney

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger