RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Stanford opens as a 4-point favorite over USC: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: An incredible firework display after the game tonight. We move to 3-0 on the season. #NerdNation #HomeOpenerThursday h…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWSoccer: Final score: No. 5 @StanfordWSoccer 1, No. 14 Portland 0. Third straight road win over a ranked team!: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal fans have to be pretty happy with Stanford's performance today, even if it was against an FCS opponent.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower redeems himself by throwing a strike to Hooper for a 14-yard touchdown. Stanford 45, UC-Davis 0 with 8:22 left in the game: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wrestling opens Pac-10 season in Bakersfield

In an early start to conference competition, the Stanford wrestling team (0-1) will head to Bakersfield, Calif., for its first Pac-10 dual against Cal State Bakersfield on Saturday.

All-American Nick Amuchastegui will headline the Cardinal this weekend. The redshirt junior placed fourth at last year’s NCAA Tournament and won a major decision in Stanford’s opening dual at home against Northwestern. Amuchastegui, senior Zack Giesen and sophomore Ryan Mango are all currently ranked in the top 20 nationally in their respective weight classes.

Stanford’s last outing, in front of a big crowd at Burnham Pavilion, ended in disappointment for the Cardinal as it fell to Northwestern, 18-16. Though the teams evenly split the matches, the Wildcats won three major decisions to Stanford’s one, giving it two extra points that ultimately formed the winning margin.

This weekend’s dual represents the season opener for the Roadrunners. Bakersfield is in its first season under new head coach Mike Mendoza.

Stanford and Cal State Bakersfield will open Pac-10 play this Saturday. The meet is scheduled for 4 p.m. on Saturday in Bakersfield.

About Kabir Sawhney

Kabir Sawhney is currently a desk editor for the News section. He served as the Managing Editor of Sports last volume.