Women’s basketball signs six players for 2011-2012 season

On Wednesday, the official opening day of the fall signing period, Stanford women’s basketball announced the signing of six recruits to National Letters of Intent for the 2011-2012 season.

The signees are Jasmine Camp, Alex Green, Taylor Greenfield, Amber Orrange, Erica Payne and Bonnie Samuelson. Head coach Tara VanDerveer is confident in the group’s overall athleticism and strong three-point shooting.

The class includes three guards in Orrange, Camp and Green, all noted for their quickness. Orrange, a point guard from Houston, tallied 657 points in her high school season last year, and averaged 16.0 points, 7.0 assists and 6.7 rebounds per game. Camp, from the Atlanta area, averaged 13.8 points and 3.8 assists per game, and was part of USA Basketball’s Women’s U16 National Team Trials roster. Dallas native Green, who can play both guard positions, looks to lead her high school team to a fourth consecutive Texas state title.

Rounding out the class are dynamic wing players Greenfield, Payne and Samuelson. As a sophomore, Greenfield averaged 12.7 points a game and shot 53.9 percent from the field and 42.5 percent from the three-point arc; she was also a trials roster member of USA Basketball’s U16 and U17 teams. Payne, a Bay Area product who attended Carondelet, the same high school that two-time All-American Jayne Appel attended, averaged 15.0 points, 10.9 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game last season. Samuelson, a two-time invitee to the U16 and U17 USA Basketball National Team Trials, averaged 27.1 points and 9.0 rebounds per game as a junior.

The 2010-2011 Cardinal will open its season this Sunday at Maples Pavilion against Rutgers at 2 p.m.