Carter visits local book store

Former President Jimmy Carter came to Kepler’s Books in Menlo Park Tuesday to promote his latest book, “White House Diary.”

Hundreds who had bought tickets to the event were admitted, according to the event coordinator Paul Petersen. More onlookers without tickets peered through the windows to catch a glimpse of the former president.

Carter visits local book store
President Jimmy Carter visited Kepler's Books to promote his new book (VIVIAN WONG/Staff Photographer).

Though Carter left office with a 34 percent approval rating in 1980, those who attended the event were drawn by their admiration of Carter.

“I thought he was a great president,” local resident Denise Gerber said. “This is the first time I’ve ever met a president and I’m honored.”

“In my eyes, especially after he left office, he’s done such wonderful things with his life for other people,” local resident Vicki Brooks said. “He should be a role model for everybody.”

In addition to signing approximately 1,500 books in two hours, Carter also fielded questions from the press.

Carter said he was rooting for the Giants, and spoke briefly about how income disparity will become an increasingly large problem in the 21st century.

When asked about whom he was supporting in the California gubernatorial race, Carter cast his support for Democratic candidate Jerry Brown.

“I liked Brown then, and I like Brown now,” Carter said.

Melanie Scheible