BRIEF: Landry Fields ’10 to start in NBA debut

In his first NBA game, former Stanford basketball standout Landry Fields will start at shooting guard for the New York Knicks. He was the 39th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

Former Stanford basketball star Landry Fields ’10, who was selected in the second round of this year’s NBA Draft, was named the starting shooting guard for the New York Knicks by head coach Mike D’Antoni earlier today.

The 6-foot-7 Fields averaged just less than nine points and three rebounds per game for the Knicks this preseason. A surprise draft pick at No. 39, Fields quickly became a favorite among Knicks fans, who initially booed his selection in June’s draft. He will supplant former starter Wilson Chandler in New York’s lineup. D’Antoni cited Fields’ lack of mistakes in the preseason and his high-energy style as reasons for making his decision.

Fields played for four seasons at Stanford. He saw his statistics jump when he was named a starter in his junior season, but did not receive national recognition until his senior year. In the 2009-10 season, Fields was among college basketball’s scoring elite, averaging 22 points per game. Stanford’s lack of depth that season required Fields to play several positions, which scouts say helped improve his all-around game.

The Knicks open their season tonight when they visit the Toronto Raptors. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m.