W. Basketball: Appel becomes third Cardinal to compete on USA Basketball Women’s World Championship team

Sept. 22, 2010, 1:33 a.m.
Stanford Daily File Photo

Former Stanford women’s basketball standout Jayne Appel ’10 can add one more accolade to her laundry list of honors. On Tuesday, the USA Basketball Women’s National Team Player Selection Committee announced that Appel, currently a center for the WNBA’s San Antonio Silver Stars, will have a spot on the 12-member roster of the Senior National Team competing for the 2010 International Basketball Federation (FIBA) World Championship at the end of this month.

Appel becomes only the third Stanford alumna to represent the U.S. at the World Championship, joining the elite company of Jennifer Azzi ’90 and Sonja Henning ’91.

Appel is no newcomer to the international stage: she won gold medals at both the 2006 FIBA Americas U18 Championships and the 2007 USA Pan-American Games. In Team USA’s four exhibition games since Sept. 10, Appel has averaged three points, four rebounds and 9.3 minutes per game.

In her illustrious Stanford career, Appel was a two-time State Farm Coaches’ All-American, and in 2009, her junior year, she was chosen as the Pac-10 Player of the Year. In her final three seasons at Stanford, Appel and the Card appeared in three straight Final Fours and two national championship games.

She left her legacy on the program with the most rebounds (1,263) and blocked shots (273) in Stanford history. She ranks third in both scoring (2,125 points) and field-goal percentage (56.5).

The 2010 FIBA World Championships will be held from Sept. 23 to Oct. 3 in the Czech Republic. Appel and Team USA will open the tournament in Group B, competing against France, Greece and Senegal.