The Daily brief: Aug. 2, 2010

By and

What to do with Searsville Dam? | Environmentalist Matt Stoecker and Jasper Ridge director Philippe Cohen are in conversation today on that question, courtesy of Nick Wenner ’11 in Miller-McCune. The 1890s-era dam was once home to a segregated platform for Stanford women to practice diving. Now a debate simmers about whether or not to remove the dam, whose reservoir has lost almost 90 percent of its storage capacity. As Cohen said this spring, “The only option not on the table is the status quo.”

New investment chief | Ken Frier M.B.A. ’84 was named new chief investment officer of Stanford Management Company, which oversees the Stanford’s $12.6 billion endowment, the University said Monday. Frier is the CIO of Hewlett-Packard and comes to Stanford in September. The position had been vacant for more than two years.

Condi joins GSB | Condoleezza Rice, political science professor and Hoover senior fellow, will join the Graduate School of Business faculty to co-direct the Center for Global Business and the Economy, Dean Garth Saloner Ph.D. ’82 tweeted Monday. The center “aims to be the leader in developing and disseminating curriculum materials, research, and conceptual frameworks on global issues,” according to its website.

From the weekend | Toby Gerhart signed a four-year, $3.7 million deal with the Minnesota Vikings.

Admission interviews | Stanford reportedly will interview about 5,000 applicants as part of its pilot face-to-face program.

AlertSU | Sirens? Check. Text messages? Check. Facebook?

Rank and file | Newly released Princeton Review rankings name Stanford students among the happiest. (Counterpoint.) Stanford was also named among the most LGBT-friendly.

Slow food? | Stanford researchers say advancements in conventional agriculture have slowed greenhouse gas emissions. “It’s actually something that I’ve been saying for quite some time,” said Leon Corzine, Illinois corn farmer. But, said Stanford’s Steven Davis Ph.D. ’08, “there’s very clearly other negative impacts of modern agriculture.”

Relax | Professor Robert Sapolsky is going after stress itself: Wired.

In case you were still enjoying summer | Fall course registration opened Sunday.

Bill Lane ’42 | The former Sunset magazine publisher, who gave millions of dollars to Stanford, died Saturday at age 90. He was the namesake of Stanford’s Bill Lane Center for the American West — and, after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, the Lane History Corner — and the first mayor of Portola Valley.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest. Note: it’s maintenance time for our e-mail digest. We’ll post an announcement when it’s back in action. Meanwhile, our RSS feed may be helpful: http://bit.ly/DailyRSS. Thanks for your patience.