The Daily brief: June 22, 2010

Directors’ Cup | Stanford has secured the NCAA Division I Directors’ Cup for the 16th straight year, USA Today reported on Tuesday. The Cardinal was helped along this year by team titles in men’s volleyball and women’s tennis.

Roads closed | Parking & Transportation Services announced road closures scheduled for Wednesday on campus as it “relocates” some Marguerite stops. Out of commission are parts of Serra and Mayfield, all of the Tresidder parking lot and more.

Climate | A new study from Stanford doctoral student in biology William R.L. Anderegg concludes that most active climate scientists agree human activity is causing global warming. Professor Stephen Schneider is a co-author of the study, “Expert Credibility in Climate Change” (PDF). Pop quiz: in what year, according to the study, did the average so-called “climate denier” receive his or her Ph.D.?

Honors | Pat Basu, a Stanford radiologist, was named to the White House Fellows program.

Overheard | “This once radical prime minister, beloved by Khomeini, has come to represent the aspirations of Iran’s prudent democrats.” — Abbas Milani, Stanford director of Iranian Studies, in “Iran’s Democratic Manifesto,” The Wall Street Journal, June 22.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest.

About Elizabeth Titus

Elizabeth Titus was editor in chief of Volume 238 of The Stanford Daily, serving from July 2010 to January 2011. Contact her at elizabethmtitus@gmail.com.