The Daily brief: June 21, 2010

High School Students Descend Upon Campus | Expect to see fresher faces and bushier tails in your favorite campus spots for the next eight weeks. High School Summer College students moved in over the weekend, and classes started today. Ah, to be young again, with eager minds and raging hormones. The program ends August 15. Other summer programs on campus, including those for visiting students and adults, as well as regular summer session classes for enrolled undergraduates, began classes today as well.

Already a Star | Chiney Ogwumike ’14 , who will be starting at Stanford in the fall following her sister Nneke ’12, was named MaxPrep’s National Female Athlete of the Year for her excellence as a basketball and volleyball player for her high school near Houston, Texas.

On Wheels for a Film Reel | The Stanford Uniball Team—yes, unicycle basketball, and it’s played exactly as it sounds—was featured in a five-minute documentary by Connor Hanten ’12 and Janessa Nickell ’11 for FilmProd 114. “In basketball, one of the easiest things to stand there with the ball,” says Charlie Dunn ’11 in the film. “And in unicycle basketball, that’s one of the hardest things to do.”

Summer Ink | For those on campus, SFGate covers the Chinese Ink painters exhibit at Cantor Arts Center, which is only around until July 4. See The Daily’s take on its background here.

Overheard | “My best guess is that Rep. Barton will chair the House Energy Committee and BP will get its money back just as soon as I get a standing ovation from a packed house for my performance as Carmen at the Metropolitan Opera. Don’t hold your breath.” Joseph A. Grundfest, law professor, former SEC Commissioner and current co-director of Stanford’s Rock Center on Corporate Governance, in reference to Representative Joe Barton’s (R-Texas) comments apologizing for the government “shakedown” of BP in the wake of the oil spill. From an interview with the San Jose Mercury News.

Follow The Daily | Twitter, Facebook, daily e-mail digest.

Ellen Huet is currently a senior staff writer at The Daily; she joined the staff in fall 2008 and served one volume as managing news editor in fall and early winter of 2010-2011. Reach her at ehuet at stanford dot edu. Fan mail and sternly worded complaints are equally welcome.