RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEF: 12 leave Cardinal Football

A dozen players have left the Stanford football program, the Athletics Department confirmed late Tuesday afternoon.

Among the notable departures are linebacker Nick Macaluso, offensive lineman Bert McBride and safety Sean Wiser.

Macaluso started 16 games in his Cardinal career, including four last season, while McBride was a valued reserve who saw extensive playing time in Stanford’s linemen-heavy diesel package in 2009. Wiser, who tallied eight starts in 2008, was forced into a medical retirement. Outside of Wiser, the Athletics Department would not disclose the reasons for the athletes’ departures.

Other players included cornerback Mark Mueller, who saw significant action on special teams, and Travis Golia, who was the Cardinal’s kickoff specialist early in 2008 but lost the battle for place-kicker in 2009.

The rest of the list includes wide receiver Marcus Rance and linebacker Jonathan Frink, both of whom battled persistent injuries throughout their careers, back-up long snapper Andrew Fowler, cornerbacks Marcus Turner and Ryan Ballenger, fullback Liam McNally and wide receiver Brad Busby.

One player is still in limbo: offensive tackle Matt Kopa, who began the season as the Cardinal’s starting left tackle. After a fractured foot sidelined him for practically all of 2009, Kopa applied for a medical redshirt in an effort to get a sixth year of eligibility. Senior Assistant Athletic Director Jim Young said that “Kopa’s status is still under appeal with the NCAA.” Kopa, expected to compete for a starting spot if he returns healthy and is granted another season, would be out of eligibility if the NCAA denies his request.

• Stephanie

Funny no mention of Kris Evans in this….as if he didnt even play…I wonder if the author watched the bowl game at all…or paid any attention to who the starting CB was the season before last.

• Stephanie

hell for that matter he didnt mention Bo McNally or some others who contributed….sigh. Hard to find good reporting these days.

• Luke

Before you go criticizing, the reporter is referring to the players who still have eligibility to play. McNally was a senior and is not eligible to play.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger