The Greatest Chick Flicks of All Time

As I left the movie theater after seeing “Dear John,” sobbing not out of sadness, but because the film was heartbreakingly boring, I started reminiscing about the best chick flicks in the last 10 years. Usually, one of the highlights of Valentine’s Day is the influx of romantic comedies and sappy love stories in theaters. After all, candlelit dinners are fine, but an ideal Valentine’s Day week should also incorporate a quality chick flick and a big bowl of popcorn. Some of the best chick flicks and their essential food pairings are:

1. “He’s Just Not That Into You”

While some critics were not enamored with the film adaptation of the popular self-help book, the movie, helmed by a star-studded cast, is the perfect way to deflect relationship worries onto the screen. Watch as multiple storylines unfold about the all-too-relatable perils of love.

Perfect Pairing: Those Sweethearts with messages like “Call me”, “Kiss me” and “Be Mine.”

2. “How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days”

Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey are the same in every single movie, but in this one, it works. Male or female, it was almost impossible to get away from this movie, and quite frankly, why would you want to? Hilarity ensues when a Knicks game is replaced with a Celine Dion concert, and in the memorable scene where Hudson’s character crashes the all-male poker night.

Perfect Pairing: Buffalo wings (eat them with your hands), food with lots of garlic or caramelized onions, or anything else you’d never eat on a date.

3. “Sex & the City: The Movie”

In theory, this does not even need an explanation. The classic HBO series-turned-movie has brought women of all backgrounds and interests together, bonding over relatable situations and beautiful guys. Every woman sees herself in Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda or Samantha, so get your girls together for the ultimate estrogen-fest.

Perfect Pairing: Yumi Yogurt. Pretend you bought it at Tasty D-Lite. Follow with a Cosmopolitan.

4. “Love Actually”

This may technically be considered a Christmas movie, and while all of the events revolve around the holiday season, the storyline makes for a perfect Valentine’s Day flick. This mostly British ensemble cast delivers a heart-wrenching, heartwarming performance that endears itself to even the stoniest of viewers. Christmas or not, love is all around us.

Perfect Pairing: Chocolate-covered strawberries.

5. “Bridget Jones’s Diary” (and the sequel)

In Renee Zellweger’s star turn, “Bridget Jones’s Diary” provides female audiences with a character that we can all relate to. Who doesn’t worry about their weight, taste in men or bad habits from time to time? While absolutely hysterical, this movie was also realistic<\p>–<\p>unless you think about the likelihood of Colin Firth and Hugh Grant fighting over you.

Perfect Pairing: Wine, cigarettes, entire pints of Ben & Jerry’s, any other vices you and Bridget share.